By invitation only in these areas of charitable interest:
Health, Education and Wellbeing benefitting women and families in greater metropolitan Melbourne
Melbourne Women’s Fund seeks to provide grant funds to organisations to whom seed funding will make a significant difference to their programs aimed at women and families. Our grants must fit our mission, vision and purpose and align with the Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation’s guidelines, see www.lmcf.org.au
Objectives and Goals
- Our aim is to fund grants in the cause areas of passion and interest to our membership that will:
- benefit targeted groups of women & families in the greater Melbourne area, and
- align with our broader mission of improving the health, education & wellbeing of women and families.
- We aim to invest in projects and programs that can be sustainable and ongoing
- We aim to support brave and/or bold initiatives to affect positive change for women and families
- We will consider capacity building grants to help organisations grow their work
- We will consider co-funding with other philanthropic funders
Eligible organisations will be:
- endorsed as a Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) as covered in Item 1 of the table in Section 30-15 of the Income Tax Assessment Act of 1997, and as a Tax Concession Charity
- operating for at least 24 months
- aligned with the Melbourne Women’s Fund Objectives and Goals
- meeting a critical need and make a community impact
- by invitation and will have submitted applications during the Application period (see our Grant Making Dates below)
Grant Making Process
This is a multi-stage process involving our Advisory Committee, Grants Committee and Members:
Expressions of Interest and invitation-only Applications
- Seek and research eligible projects from organisations that meet our funding criteria
- Provide the selected organisations with an Expression of Interest form
- Recommend eligible projects to the Melbourne Women’s Fund membership
- Review the EOIs and compile a shortlist, providing these organisations with a Grant Application form which includes a request for their financials
- Review submitted Grant applications and shortlist organisations to present to the LMCF Board for their (required) approval prior to the decision event. They will advise our successful finalists from this process.
The Decision Event
- At this annual event, Melbourne Women’s Fund members will have the opportunity to hear from successful finalists and review the list of eligible projects to fund
- Members will democratically vote for the project(s) they want to fund
- The most successful application (by number of votes) will be declared the grant recipient. Please note that more than one grant application may be successful, (awards may be made at different funding amounts) and Merit Awards may also be made
Annual stages for Significant and Nurturing Grand round
RESEARCH & DISCOVERY: SEPTEMBER – OCTOBER
- Melbourne Women’s Fund Advisory Committee and Grants Committee to research cause areas and eligible projects
EOI INVITATIONS: NOVEMBER
- Selected eligible organisations invited to submit an ‘Expression of Interest’ for projects needing funding
SELECTED EOI’s INVITED TO SUBMIT FULL APPLICATIONS: FEBRUARY
- Selected organisations invited to submit a full application for projects needing funding
- Organisations shortlisted from the EOI process will be provided with a ‘Melbourne Women’s Fund Grant Application Form’ to complete and submit via the email address email@example.com
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS AND SELECTION OF SIX FINALISTS (3 FOR SIGNIFICANT GRANT, 3 FOR NURTURING GRANT): APRIL
- Melbourne Women’s Fund to notify applicants whether they have made it through to Finalists list
LORD MAYOR’S CHARITABLE FOUNDATION APPROVAL AS TRUSTEE:
- Finalists’ applications are subject to approval by the Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation
SITE VISITS: APRIL – JUNE
- Site visits by MWF members to SIX grant finalists
DECISION EVENT: JULY
- Annual Melbourne Women’s Fund membership voting will occur at our Decision Event scheduled in early July. Date and location will be announced on this website.
- Finalists will be asked to prepare presentations for this event.
- More than one applicant may be successful, subject to the voting outcome.
Exclusions – Grants are not provided for the following
- Endowment funds
- Retrospective funding
- Recurrent expenditure where there is no plan in place for the long term sustainability of the project or program
- Auspicing – the organisation applying must be the organisation undertaking the project or program.
- Melbourne Women’s Fund grant guidelines and criteria may be subject to change based on the decisions of our Advisory Committee and a compliance reveiw by LMCF. Any changes will be posted on this website.
- All recommendations for funding are at the discretion of the Melbourne Women’s Fund Advisory Committee and are recommended for final approval by the Board of the Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation.
- Should a proposal be rejected, reasons will not necessarily be provided.